Sawando National Park Gate, located in the Sawando area, is Kamikochi’s transfer base in Nagano Prefecture. Here, visitors must transfer to shuttle buses or taxis due to traffic restrictions on private cars and tour buses. In order to better use and experience the national park, information related to Kamikochi is provided, such as about the natural surroundings, mountain climbing, traffic, and the rules of national parks.
- Open Period:
- late April through November 15 (Open every day during this period)
* Closed in winter
- Open during Kamikochi shuttle’s operating time
Address: Kamikochi, Azumi, Matsumoto, Nagano 390-1516 Japan
- - National Park Gate
- At the entrance hall, a grand panoramic photograph of the Northern Japan Alps and driftwood art from Azusa-gawa River welcome visitors.
The information counter provides information on Kamikochi and Sawando such as weather conditions, nature, and traffic. In the building, panels of nature, history and walking courses in Kamikochi are displayed, and also images related to rules in the national park are on screen in the waiting room for shuttle buses and taxis.
- - Resting Area
- This area offers tables, benches, and a drinking fountain. It is also used as a meeting site for large groups of visitors.
- - Public Toilet
- Restrooms are installed with flushing toilets. Multi-purpose restrooms are also available.
- - Bus Terminal
- It has a Matsumoto city tourist information center as well as a shop.
- - City-run Parking Lot No. 3 (Kasumi-sawa)
- An underground tunnel directly connects this parking lot to Sawando National Park Gate. It is possible to charge electric cars here for free.